.....a brief history
The mediaeval spire of Bisley's All Saints' Church rises almost 900 feet above sea level, and is visible from many miles around. It is told that the Luftwaffe used it to mark their course on bombing raids of Gloucester.
The site on which the church stands was used for pagan ceremonies in Roman times, and has been used as a Christian site since Saxon times. Bisley was the head church of the Bisley Hundred, encompassing Stroud and the surrounding district, until 1360, when Stroud became a parish in its own right.
A lot of the old fabric of the church was lost during restoration work by Rev Thomas Keble in 1862, but at that time, two Roman altars were found, (now in the British Museum).
The tower and chancel are the two remaining mediaeval elements of the church.
Rev Thomas Keble was also responsible for the restoration of the Wells; his brother, John, a founder of the Oxford Movement, and the man after whom Keble College was named, was married in the church. Rev Thomas Keble's son, also Thomas, was responsible for Bisley's biggest legend, The Bisley Boy.
Inside the church is the 'Bisley Bible', which was originally taken to Australia in the 19th century, when several people emigrated from the village. It has kindly been presented back to the village, and is on display.
A visit to the Church is highly recommended, and a guide book is available inside.
...and further see old Bisley spire
Which rises quite as high or higher than most in Gloucestershire.
And thousands round that ancient pile lie mouldering til the seventh vial Is poured upon the air"... Jeptha Young
Vicar - TBA
Regular Service times
1st Sunday informal: 11:00am - Family worship. 6:00pm - Holy Communion
2nd Sunday: 11:00am - Holy Communion
3rd Sunday informal: 11:00am - Family Worship. 6:00pm Evening Prayer
4th Sunday: 8:00am - Holy Communion. 11:00am - Holy Communion
5th Sunday: 9:30am or 11:00 am - See monthly porch notice